Michael Foyle, Maksim Stsura - Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonatas for Piano and Violin Vol. 3
Klasyczna Muzyka Kameralna
premiera polska: 2023-01-23
opakowanie: Jewelcaseowe etui
The sonatas on the first two discs were emblematic of Beethoven’s early and middle periods, showcasing the composer’s command of the Classical idiom. The last two sonatas push the boundaries of the genre even further, resulting in artistic efforts of increased emotional intensity, cyclical scope, and lyrical intimacy. They are also considered among the most dramatic and challenging works in the duo repertoire.
An early review of Sonata no. 9 in the Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung was rude: ‘The addition to the title ‘scritta in uno stile molto concertante, quasi come d’un concerto’ appears eccentric, presumptuous and ostentatious’. However, to modern audiences this ‘like a concerto’ element that describes the equality and democratic dialogue between the two instruments is now integral to our understanding of the notion of chamber music and in this, Beethoven was a trailblazer. According to the great violinist Carl Flesch, ‘a flower must blossom in the souls’ of those performing Beethoven’s Sonata for Piano and Violin in G major Op. 96. The work dates from 1812, a full decade after previous six sonatas, and in its sublime beauty and pathos represents the transformation in Beethoven’s later works from the heroic, defiant drama immortalised in works like the ‘Kreutzer’ to something far more searching and spiritual, rather akin to his late quartets.
- Third and final instalment in Foyle/Štšura complete recording of Beethoven’s Piano and Violin Sonatas.
- This last volume includes the two last Sonatas, op. 47 and op. 96, probably the most challenging and mature of the entire oeuvre.
- Previous volumes were welcomed by critic. Gramophone on vol. 2 (CC 72860): The eviden care taken by both players and the attractive variety of tone colors Foyle draws from his 1750 Gagliano make the prospect of the final volume in this series a tempting one.
Praised for ‘playing of compelling conviction’ (The Daily Telegraph) and ‘astonishing mutual feeling, understanding and responsiveness’ (Seen and Heard
International), Foyle-Štšura Duo was formed in 2012 and won the Beethoven Piano Society of Europe Duo Competition and the Salieri-Zinetti International Chamber Music Competition in 2015.
Since then, the Duo has performed over 200 recitals in venues such as Wigmore Hall, Purcell Room, Buckingham Palace, St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Bridgewater Hall in Manchester, Usher Hall in Edinburgh, The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, as well as for the St. Magnus International Festival, Grachtenfestival Amsterdam, New York Chamber Music Festival, Cervantino Festival in Mexico and Evgeny Mravinsky Festival in Tallinn and St. Petersburg. Their performances have been broadcast live on BBC Radio 3, NPO Radio 4 and Estonian Klassikaraadio.
During the 2018–19 season, the Duo released two CDs, The Great War Centenary: Janáček, Debussy and Respighi Sonatas on Challenge Records andLutosławski and Penderecki: Complete Violin and Piano Works on Delphian Records, both to critical acclaim (‘delivered by both artists in sweeping style’– BBC Music Magazine, ‘richly detailed and impassioned performances’ – The Daily Telegraph, ‘the duo delivers a dream debut, 10/10’ – Luister, ’an extraordinary release, played phenomenally’ – Stretto).
Formerly Park Lane Group, Kirckman Concert, Making Music and Live Music Now artists, receiving masterclasses from Stephen Kovacevich and Maxim Vengerov, they are now City Music Foundation Ambassadors. In 2020, the Duo recorded Beethoven’s complete Sonatas for Piano and Violin to mark the composer’s 250th anniversary.
Michael Foyle: violin
Maksim Stsura: piano
1. Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 47 - I. Adagio sostenuto - Presto (10:54)
2. Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 47 - II. Andante con variazioni (14:37)
3. Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 47 - III. Finale. Presto (07:02)
4. Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata No. 10 in G Major, Op. 96 - I. Allegro moderato (08:13)
5. Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata No. 10 in G Major, Op. 96 - II. Adagio espressivo (05:32)
6. Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata No. 10 in G Major, Op. 96 - III. Scherzo. Allegro (02:08)
7. Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata No. 10 in G Major, Op. 96 - IV. Poco Allegretto (08:27)
more info: www.challenge.nl
more info2: www.foylestsuraduo.com
- Challenge Classics
- Ludwig van Beethoven
- Michael Foyle, Maksim Stsura
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonatas for Piano and Violin Vol. 3
- Data premiery