Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk [2CD]
Straightahead / Mainstream Jazz
premiera polska: 2022-05-20
kontynent: Ameryka Północna
In May of 1957, Art Blakey and his Jazz Messengers went into the studio with Thelonious Monk to record a one-off album for Atlantic. The Jazz Messengers were a loose collective of young Jazz musicians, with a constantly rotating lineup to keep the music fresh and help launch new careers. In this iteration we find Art Blakey on drums, Thelonious Monk on piano, Johnny Griffin on tenor saxophone, Bill Hardman on trumpet and Spanky DeBrest on bass.
Blakey had recorded with Monk on various occasions, but this was the first time Monk sat in with the Jazz Messengers. This also marks Thelonious Monk’s only appearance on Atlantic Records. The result is a true meeting of the minds, a beautiful union of Monk’s melodies with Blakey’s unshakable sense of swing. This 65th Anniversary deluxe edition includes an extra disc of unreleased outtakes, celebrating the most sensational jazz collaboration of the 1950s.
Down Beat Magazine original review
This is another set combining Monk with a group not his own but that soon becomes his own. Griffin throughout has less of the runaway fire and more cohesion than his recent recordings have shown. Hardman, too, seems in better control than on recent outings. Blakey’s work is not so blatantly out front as when he is at the reins, but his presence is certainly felt rhythmically and creatively. The LP is angular, often quite brittle, but also quite representative of Monk and where he stands today.
by Dom Cerulli
THELONIOUS MONK, piano
ART BLAKEY, drums
JOHNNY GRIFFIN, tenor sax
BILL HARDMAN, trumpet
SPANKY DEBREST, bass
1. Evidence (Thelonious Monk) 6:42
2. In Walked Bud (Thelonious Monk) 6:38
3. Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) 7:49
4. I Mean You (Coleman Hawkins, Thelonious Monk) 7:58
5. Rhythm-A-Ning (Thelonious Monk) 7:15
6. Purple Shades (Johnny Griffin) 7:39
1. Evidence (Take 2) (Thelonious Monk) 6:25
2. In Walked Bud (Take 2) (Thelonious Monk) 6:20
3. Blue Monk (Take 9) (Thelonious Monk) 7:27
4. I Mean You (Take 3) (Coleman Hawkins, Thelonious Monk) 7:40
5. Rhythm-A-Ning (Take 2) (Thelonious Monk) 7:35
6. Purple Shades (Take 4) (Johnny Griffin) 7:12
wydano: 2022-05-20 (1957)
nagrano: New York City, May 14 (A3 & B1) & May 15 (AA2; BB3), 1957.
more info: www.atlanticrecords.com
- Atlantic (USA)
- Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk
- Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk [2CD]
- Data premiery